CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

The Dream Duel

My fellow Lady of Leisure gets back from Hawaii today, and we are foresworn to engage in a "dream duel." For the past week we were both supposed to ponder and articulate our life's dream. Then we were going to count to three, turn and utter them aloud, hence the dueling part. 


What I have figured out is not that much different than what I had before, but I've tried to turn it from vague to articulated. While it's true I left my last job to write a novel, the overarching reason was to live a more creative life in general.  Yet it seems like even though I am committed to cranking out a clever opus, my fickle eye keeps straying to the unemployment crack that is Craigslist. Is it just "cold hands"? Or should I try and get a job?  The goal of living a more creative life leaves plenty of room for interpretation, and therein lies the trouble. 

The biggest thing I've been asking myself as we prepare to draw a line in the sand is: do I want to get a job out of fear, or out of desire? The answer to that is, depends. I've told myself all along that if I got a really good yummy creative job offer, I should definitely take it. On the other hand, I should not take any sub-par job just to be employed.

So here's what I'm going to change: I'm going to stop living my life in "but what if I get a job?" mode. I am going to start embracing creativity, commitments, and life in general now, and stop turning down opportunities because I'm worried about what the future holds. 

So, I'm going to start volunteering. I am going to learn Photoshop, and eventually screenplay writing and videography. I am going to write and maintain this blog. I am going to continue trying to take a picture everyday to ensure life is not passing me by. I am going to work on my novel full speed ahead and treat it with the respect and reverence it deserves. And I am going to do everything I can to help make Ladies of Leisure a thriving LLC, or whatever business-y thing it can be.

There only remans one thing I'm not sure of. My lingering question is: Should I get a leetle part time job? I am the most working class person you'll ever meet, which at times clashes with my bohemian instincts. I'm always tempted to take a little job, although the happiest times of my life were when I was living on less and not working. Still, I think the answer is the same: if it is creatively fulfilling, yes. If it is just a soul-sucker to pay the bills, no.

Whew! Thanks my silent shareholders. I feel a million times better now that I have that established. Now all I have to do is make sure to do it! En garde! 

0 comments: